Today is World Health Day, so there’s no better time than now to evaluate your current health habits! In celebration of the day, we’re hosting a special giveaway on Instagram, where we're providing our followers a chance to win a free Fancii personal humidifier, so be sure to follow us at (@fanciico) for instructions on how to win!
If you’re aware of the basics of being healthy, but want specific tips on how you can actually make it happen, then you've come to the right place. So sit back, relax, and grab your favorite healthy snack as we dish out fun tips for staying healthy.
TIP 1: EAT AND DRINK WELL
Maintaining a balanced diet is a form of self-respect. Here are a few tips for treating your body with the respect it deserves:
- Make eating healthy fun! All those exciting recipes on Pinterest...find a healthy (yet satisfying) one, and give it a go! Experiment with recipes to make them your own. Baking and cooking, not your thing? Try making a variety of easy, yet delicious smoothies. (Here’s a link to our favorites, all 50 of them.)
- Get to planning and organizing your food. An often forgotten secret to eating healthy is being organized. This includes meal prepping and packing healthy snacks to bring with you to work or while on the go. Unhealthy choices are often made when we fail to plan ahead, so by planning healthy snacks, you are eliminating the temptation of grabbing junk food just because it’s easily accessible. Check out these delicious snacks. (And yes, they’re all good for you too!)
- Drink more H2O. Carry a water bottle with you as a visual reminder to get your 8 glasses in per day. If you don’t like the plain taste of water, spruce things up a bit by adding your favorite fruit. Lemon always makes for a popular addition. Check out the incredible health benefits of lemon water here.
TIP 2: EXERCISE
Exercise is good for not only your physical health but your mental health as well! Studies show that exercising releases happy endorphins and lower stress levels. Here are a few tips for making sure you get your heart rate going:
- Put on your favorite TV show. Now before you get too excited, we don’t mean on the couch with a bag of popcorn. Next time you’re catching up on 'Game of Thrones," try these easy at home exercises while you’re watching. If you have a treadmill at your disposal, set up your TV or smartphone while you walk or jog!
- Get active in bed. Whoa there sparky, not like that! We're talking about exercises you would do at the gym but can easily do at home. Check out these exercises you can perform from the comfort of your bed, yes, you heard us right, your oh-so-comfy bed.
- Group Exercise. Working with a group can be more effective than working out alone. Why? Joining a group workout can help motivate you, help hold yourself accountable, and foster a sense of group camaraderie. Did we also mention you don’t need to go to a “gym” to work out? You can work out by joining dance classes, pole fitness clubs, and even cat yoga classes, where (you guessed it) your cat can help you improve your poses.
- Take a walk. Make an effort to walk more often and if you have a furry friend, better yet, bring them along with. What dog doesn’t like a walk? However, if you happen to own a lazy dog who prefers lounging around instead, walk alone or with a friend and enjoy the beauty mother nature has to offer. Whatever your reasoning for walking, do more of it!
With any exercise goal (or any goals for that matter), be sure they are S.M.A.R.T - Goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-based. Rather than simply telling yourself that you want to exercise more, set yourself a goal such as, “I will walk/run 5 miles each week.” Place your S.M.A.R.T goal(s) in a place where you will see them daily – Perhaps on your refrigerator or your favorite bathroom mirror ;-)
TIP 3: GET SUFFICIENT SLEEP
It’s called beauty sleep for a reason, but that reason isn’t just for your advancing your already stellar looks, it's for your mental, emotional and physical health as well.
Here are some quick tips, but we can't promise these are necessarily fun ;)
- Set yourself a schedule and stick to it! This includes setting a time for when you need to be phone and television-free.
- Limit your caffeine intake to the morning and early afternoon. A cup of joe in the late afternoon may seem like a good idea to push you through your work day, but its effects will last well into the night. A good cutoff time is 2 PM.
- Eat right. Eating a late dinner before bedtime activates your digestive system, keeping you awake. On the other hand, not having enough foods in your stomach can as well. Be sure to eat your dinner well before bedtime and cut out bedside snacking. (Plus, bed crumbs are so not cool.)
- Make your sleeping environment comfortable. Make sure your lights are off at a scheduled time and that the temperature is right, 65-72 degrees Fahrenheit. Health professionals also recommend using a humidifier as well.
Aside from practicing the above tips, it’s important to practice additional healthy habits such as attending regular check-ups such as physical screenings, dental exams, eye exams, immunizations, and more. When in doubt, always ask for help. If you are feeling down, don't be afraid to reach out to someone whether it be a friend, a family member, or a professional. What other advice would you give to leading a healthy lifestyle? Let us know your tips by leaving a comment!
From all of us at Fancii & Co, Happy World Health Day!